Baseboard

 

There are three sections to the baseboard section and, for ease of navigation, a link to each of the three pages is listed below:-

The links are also listed in the appropriate section of this page so that you don't have to return to the top of the page to find them should you be following the ongoing process detailed below.

Keep an eye on this page once I actually start construction. I'll be detailing the construction of the baseboard on this page, from the type of materials used to how it was built. I'll also be putting photographs of each stage of construction on this page to complement the description of this stage of the project. As you can appreciate, seeing as neither the shed or loft is currently ready for a layout, not much in the way of baseboard construction has been carried out. There'd be no point in doing so.

You will see some musings on how I am going to approach the baseboard construction. For the layout that will end up in the shed, I'm obviously going to need something that will be capable of handling the temperature extremes that are likely to be experienced. Would MDF - Medium Density Fibreboard - be appropriate or would a plywood board do the job better? The layout that will end up in the loft will not have to, hopefully deal with this so maybe MDF or even Sundeala (a proprietary higher quality fibreboard available in flame retardant and specialist hobby form) could be used. Time will tell but there is a forum within the site's forum where these issues can, and indeed are, being discussed. I've put a link to the site forum below should you be interested.

Timber being delivered

Timber being delivered

Baseboard for Shed Layout

It's going to go in the shed. The shed is 6'x6' so what I've decided to do is build 2 boards, 1 6'x2' and the other 4'x2'. Then I'll install them in the shed in an L-shape. 1 board will be for my interim layout and the other will be utilised as a workbench. The shed has a nice large south-facing window so should be perfect for modelling. I already have lighting and power installed so it will not need much work to get it up to standard. The frame for the door does have one piece that is rotten and it's where the door hinges are secured so that will need replacing. I may also put a grill across the window so that the light-fingered people that seem to live in the area aren't presented with an easy opportunity to practice their burglary skills - the main reason why I want to move.

Timber as delivered

The pieces of timber for my new baseboard as delivered

I've been having some medical problems over the last few months so didn't feel up to a lot of the donkey work for the baseboard - the cutting of the wood - so availed myself of the cutting-to-size service that the local timber merchants from where I bought timber from offer.

I ordered a piece of 8'x4' premium-grade Brazilian hardwood plywood to be cut to a 4'x2' piece and 2 6'x2' pieces. I also ordered some 2"x1" timber with 6 pieces cut to 2' long for the end supports to each board, 4 pieces cut to 5'10" for the side supports of the 2 6' boards, 2 pieces 3'10" for the side supports for the 4'x2' board and 8 pieces 1'10" for the cross-brace support.

This was also duly delivered today (12/5/06) and left me with the rather simple task of assembling the frame and then securing the top to it - or so I thought. There was a slight problem with the 2"x1" timber. The pieces for the side on the frame were about an inch too long. This was easily rectified. I took a little extra care than I would do normally when sawing the wood to length as I tend to go at things a little bit like a bull-in-a-china-shop at times. I also went back in time and decided to use a hand saw rather than a jig saw to saw the wood. I also took care to make sure the wood was marked accurately where I wanted to saw it. The end result was a nicely sawn, right-angled, straight cut. Excellent!

The pack of cross brace pieces

The pack of cross-brace pieces

Now for the frame for the baseboard. I decided to forego the method I used on the previous layout where I screwed the frame together using wood screws and simply nailed the frame together. I haven't quite sussed out how to use the counter-sinking kit I used and the heads of the screws did stick out a bit on the previous layout.

I then nailed the board top to the frame and, 1 hour after it was all delivered, the bulk of the baseboard was completed. I haven't yet put the cross-braces in. I do intend to put them in even though the frame as it stands is quite rigid but I thought it was best to wait until I had come up with the track plan for this layout and decided where the points and points motors were going to go before putting the braces in rather than putting the braces in, deciding where I wanted to put the points and then finding that a cross-brace was in the way! Knowing my luck that is exactly what would happen.

Tomorrow I intend to do the 4'x2' section and that will be the 2 sections needed for the shed all finished.

Baseboard from the top
Baseboard from underneath
The support braces in place
New baseboard seen from the top
New baseboard seen from underneath
The support braces in place

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * width setting text - this text is here to help set the width to the maximum width of the screen no matter what the resolution is and is a bit of a workaround but hopefully works! ;)* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

 

Page last updated: 24th May 2007

free counter statistics